Saturday, June 29, 2013

avocado egg rolls with creamy cilantro


Avocado Egg Rolls with Creamy Cilantro Ranch Dip


1K+
Not too long ago my husband had the day off of work so we decided to go spoil ourselves.
We went shopping {which consisted of my husband sitting in the car and playing a game on his phone while I went into Crate & Barrel}, then we had lunch. We ate at The Cheesecake Factory, and it was a no-brainer when our server suggested the Avocado Egg Rolls for an appetizer.

They were so good, I had to re-create them for you. {but mostly for me}
The past few weeks I have been on this sort of thing called a diet… yeah, weird… I know. So I set about trying to make these egg rolls without frying them.

My husband tried to talk me out of it. Saying things like, “They fry things for a reason.” and “You never hear people saying, I love me some BAKED chicken.” 
I was convinced I could do it without breaking out the deep fryer. I thought it would be 1. healthier and 2. easier.
To make a long story short {and it pains me to say it}… he was right, and I was wrong.
You definitely want to fry these. It was 10 times faster to fry these, and they tasted waaaaaaybetter. The outside wrapper was crisp and crunchy. Plus if you go off of what my brother-in-law says… you only consume a small trace amount of oil when you fry food.

Let’s just stick with eating in moderation shall we? You’re going to want to practice self control when it comes to these egg rolls, cause they are hard to resist.
Start off by cutting the avocados from top to bottom, then twisting around the two sides till they separate.
Make slices length-wise through the avocado, but making sure to not cut through the skin.

Use a spoon to scoop out the slices of avocado.

And now you have slices of avocado without having to handle the sometimes slippery fruit.
Place the avocado slices in a bowl and add some salt and a little chopped cilantro and give it a good stir.

Then just place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface and put a few slices of avocado mixture in the center. Add a few pieces of sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil to the center as well.
Dab your finger in a little water and run it along the edges of the egg roll wrapper, moistening about 1/4 inch of the edge all the way around. This helps to seal the edges together when you wrap it up.
Once all the egg rolls are wrapped up, you’re ready to fry them!
Now let me show you something that will surely blow your mind.

Did you know you can take any regular mouthed Mason Jar and attach it to the base of your blender?
Yup- pure genius!
So if you only need to make something small, or something that will be stored in the fridge {like some salad dressing}, then this is the perfect way to do it.

These egg rolls will need to be dipped in something. I am thinking something creamy, with a hint of lime and a little kick of some spice.
Let’s just throw our ingredients in a mason jar, blend it up and call it good!

Place the rubber seal and blade on the top of the filled jar then screw on the base of the blender.

Make sure it’s sealed tightly and place on the blender and process till smooth.

I love this dressing. It’s creamy, it’s tangy, it’s got a little spice…it’s delicious.

Now I can use what I need and place the rest in the fridge for later. The only thing that needs washing is the blender blade, which can easily be rinsed off.
I’m in love. 

Once the egg rolls are all golden brown and perfect, carefully slice them in half at an angle.

These are great on their own, but when paired with the Creamy Cilantro Ranch Dip they are incredible.

Just one bite and you’ll be hooked!
This is where you’ll need to practice will power and moderation.

These egg rolls are extremely tasty and so easy to throw together if you have some friends coming over and need an appetizer. By making the dressing in the mason jar you save so much time with clean-up, and it’s also just pretty darn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment